Thursday, July 2, 2009

Chapter 9 Blog 1- Motivation

Chapter 9 Blog 1

For this chapter I chose to blog about motivation. Motivation is defined in the text as the degree to which an individual is personally committed to expending effort in the accomplishment of a specified activity or goal. Aside from communication, I think motivation plays a huge role of not only the success of an organization, but also the competitive advantage. It is vital for companies to stay on top of their game at all times and keep motivated to make themselves appealing to their designated market. In my experience as a manager I am always trying new ways to keep my employees motivated by offering sales incentives, talking about the importance and benefits of us making goal and praising employees when they accomplish something in the workplace. It seems like huge companies use bonuses and other perks to keep their employees motivated to continue working efficiently and hard. I think a huge part of being a leader of an organization is being able to motivate the employees in an effective  way.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with your post and as an employee of large organization I find that I am much more motivated when the perceived rewards are worth the extra effort. Last semester I was taking a business mngmt. and organizational behavior class and our teacher had us all take a survey to figure out what motivated us the most and then we each read our top five. Although money came in first as the most motivating reward, it was interesting to hear what others valued as good rewards such as a nice office or a company car. It just goes to show that managers also have to be aware that the same reward will inspire different levels of motivation depending on the employee.

    ReplyDelete